Complete vineyard care with Mark Whisson
Drawing on Mark’s more than 30 years’ extensive viticultural experience, we launched Magdalene Viticultural Consulting to offer professional vineyard management services to grape growers across the Adelaide Hills and beyond.
MagVit is equipped with state-of-the-art machinery and a team of trained vineyard specialists who cover a wide range of services, including:
- Fungicide and herbicide spraying.
- Under-vine mowing and slashing.
- Irrigation system maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Canopy trimming and management.
- Pruning, including barrel pruning, spur pruning and cane pruning.
- Fertilising and fertigation (running fertilisers through irrigation systems).
- Trestle repairs.
- Grape picking.
- New vineyard plantings.
More than 30 years’ experience in vineyard management
Since the 1980s, Mark has successfully planted and managed more than 100 new vineyards, mostly in the Adelaide Hills but also in the Clare Valley, McLaren Vale, Langhorne Creek, Coonawarra and the Yarra Valley.
He has a University of Adelaide Science degree majoring in Botany and Biochemistry, a Honours degree in Botany and a Master of Science in Plant Biochemistry from the University of Alberta.
Mark has held various key industry positions including:
- Adelaide Hills Vine Improvement Society founding vice chairman, 1988-1989.
- Adelaide Hills Vine Improvement Society chairman, 1989-1992
- Adelaide Hills Vine Improvement Society secretary, 2002-2005.
He has also penned numerous articles on vine pruning, spraying and training for magazines including the Australian and New Zealand Grapegrower and Winemaker and National GrapeGrowers. Mark chaired a workshop on dryland viticulture at the 2004 Australian Wine Industry Technical Conference and another on training young vines at the 1995 Australian Society of Viticulture and Oenology National Seminar.
Contact MagVit for more information
At MagVit, we pride ourselves on our expertise, problem-solving skills and ability to effectively advise clients on the best steps for each individual vineyard.
To book a service or make an enquiry, please contact Mark Whisson: